Thursday, March 11, 2010

Caerphilly Castle in Wales

I know I'm behind in my blogging. Sorry. I'll try to do better. Caerphilly castle was definitely the highlight of our trip to Wales. This castle was the first of it's kind in the whole world. It was built in the late 1200's and next to Windsor, it's the largest in England and almost in the world. It's considered to be a revolutionary masterpiece. It was built to not be taken over or destroyed. It has a huge water (lakes and mote) defensive system and multiple walls surrounding the inner areas. It was designed and built so well that it was never destroyed (until gun powder) and the Welsh just packed up and left and England won. As you can see the one tower is leaning. A cannon got that. Gun powder made castles pointless I guess.

Another reason this was a fun day was because it was Ryan's 11th birthday.  What a fun place for a boy to celebrate! He LOVED it! There was plenty to climb on, although I don't think you're supposed to, and tons of imaginative play. Everyone sang Happy Birthday on the bus and, in addition to his regular gifts, he was given $$ to spend at the castle gift shop. We had cheesecake at home as a family and I made cupcakes for the whole group after we got back.

You can see Daniel wearing his pajama pants because his jeans were so thick with mud from the previous day. He didn't seem to care and managed to fall in mud again at the castle! Boys, boys boys...

 Scott explaining the castle's defense system


No comments:

Post a Comment