Saturday, April 17, 2010

We're stuck!

Actually that wouldn't be a bad thing. Because of the volcano eruptions in Iceland all the airports here are closed. We have a trip to Italy planned starting next Tuesday. It's possible things will be up and running by then. It depends on the volcano and the wind. But scientists are saying they don't see an end in sight. Scott and I are so traveled out right now, it's nice to think of not having any commitments and just resting up before the new term starts. It's going to be even more travel intensive because Spring and Summer terms have less time to do things.

What is really sad right now are seeing these 19-20 year old students stuck here. Some have parents here too. Their parents aren't staying at the center though. But all flights have been canceled. The girls were in tears and basically not coping well at all. I think they had visions of becoming homeless on the streets of London. It's interesting what the mind can do to a person and it's like a chain reaction. As soon as two or three start crying, then they all do. Some have been really freaked out.

In fact they stopped cleaning up after themselves and now the mice are back. One of the dorm bathrooms was left such a mess that the house cleaners refused to clean it. I won't elaborate. Upset parents called the BYU president. He was livid that they called him! Weird. Scott compared it all to The Lord of the Flies. He was exaggerating of course.

They had a meeting with the students this morning telling them they won't become homeless and that they can stay for a while. But they still need to find a way home. Scott said there are extra funds that can be moved from other budgets to help pay for food. The students are going to need to eventually train it to the south, like Spain, and fly from there. But they are waiting first to see if things clear up here.

What a mess. I'm glad we're not trying to get home. I might be in tears too. Actually, if I wasn't so tired, a trip to Italy and Greece sounds cool too!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's crazy! I had no idea it was so bad there! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are dealing with all the spoiled kids? I swear, I would lose it and slap them all silly! Ok, maybe not, but I would be tempted!
    Actually though, I hope things clear up so everything can get moving again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm agreeing a bit with Christine here! Suck it up kids! Stuff happens! & quit being slobs already! hahaha

    ReplyDelete