Friday, November 19, 2010

Up On The House Top...

I've been kind of sad to not have a bunch of little kids underfoot anymore. Yes, there is a lot of stress with mothering the little one's. (There is a lot of stress with the older one's too!) :) But I love young children in general and really miss having a few at home. Daniel is only 5 and has a late birthday, so at least he's still at home.

Over the last few days I've started realizing how wonderful it is to have older kids and teenagers too! Our boys have been pretty good at raking and bagging leaves, and Laura volunteered to put the Christmas lights up! Yay! ( I like our older kids for other reasons too!) This has always been such an ordeal in our home. Scott will do it because he knows I like it, but hates it. And if I wait for him to be ready to do it they will be put up on Christmas eve. (I'm only exaggerating a little) Usually I will put lights up around our porch before Thanksgiving and hope that Scott will do the rest soon after. Now I won't need to wait again! Laura had a blast and she even had a couple of visitors come and help as she worked on the house.

Laura starting out.

Not wanting her picture taken again.

Our cat, Ninja, climbed a tree and hung out with her.

Laura was too afraid to use a ladder. I was concerned 
about her breaking the branches so she had to overcome that fear pretty quickly:)

Our neighbor Katherine came over another day to
help finish up.
Laura and Katherine completing the job. Ryan wanted to help
but they wouldn't let the boys come up and help at all.
Why can't they be this excited about indoor chores? I guess
I'll take what I can get!

Laura even wrote a song about her experiences. It's to the tune 'Up On The House Top' Here it is:
(It's dumb I know, just humor us) :)

Up on the house top Laura almost dies,
Down below her mother cries.
Branches swinging in her face,       (it was windy part of the time)
But all the lights are in their place.

chorus
Ho Ho Ho Laura saved the day!
Ho Ho Ho she wouldn't play!
Up On The House Top the lights are up,
Down she came without a thump!


2 comments: