Thursday, May 27, 2010

Edinburgh

What a fun trip! We traveled by train instead of coach and we stayed in the same hostel both nights instead of moving around. Edinburgh was really cool. Though I think I'm a bit biased since I'm Scottish. One of the proud moments I had was in Edinburgh castle. There was a memorial/chapel dedicated to servicemen who have lost their lives defending Scotland. There was a big memorial to the Gordon Clan. We weren't allowed to take pictures so I can't post it, but it was neat to see from floor to ceiling this memorial, including a giant Gordon crest.

One fun thing we did on our second day here was take a ferry to the island, Inchcolm.  It was just our family having fun together. The kids loved the relaxing boat ride with ocean wildlife. They loved playing in, out, and around the ruined Augustinian Inchcolm Abbey. The Abbey was built because an ancient King was stranded on the island and an old hermit (monk) took care of him until he could get back to the mainland. He promised to build an Abbey but died before he could do it. His brother made sure it was built. We happened to be there during the sea gulls nesting time. Ugh! We took a walk and guess what? We walked right into the nesting grounds (we knew we would). The sea gulls were not happy! They are LOUD and one dive bombed me and touched my head. Since they have webbed feet I was more worried about a gross mess on my head! We turned around and left them alone.

Daniel With Stayley. She played eye-spy with him and 
kept him entertained for three of the four hour train trip.

Edinburgh Castle

view of Edinburgh from castle

castle guard inspection


castle

A bag piper we stopped to listen to on our
way to the bus stop to go to the ferry. I
had Jacob pay him some $$.

Edinburgh

Inchcolm Island

Abbey


Naval War ship passing by with tug boat behind 
(there were three tug boats)



This one has three eggs. She was squawking at us!

Looking for treasures

We found lots of sea glass, shells, rocks, and dead jelly fish


Scottish Countryside

Seals. We also saw puffins

Edinburgh

Playing Pool in the lounge of our hostel


Daniel being wild with Charlie and other students
on the train ride home. I finally gave Charlie
a picture book to read so Daniel would calm down!

1 comment:

  1. I got dusty at the Gordon Clan monument and the Gordon Highlanders memorabilia too, Trish. Good times.

    ReplyDelete