Saturday, May 8, 2010

Natalie

Natalie, one of the students here, sat at our table last night at dinner. Her father is a practicing Jew and her mother is a Catholic. She's obviously LDS. She has an amazing story. Her grandparents are Polish Jews and somehow managed to survive the Holocaust. Her grandfather enlisted in the Russian Brigade and survived that way. Her grandmother went to Auschwitz. I'm guessing she did some kind of work labor that was needed and she must have been good at it. For those of you who don't know Auschwitz was a death camp and you didn't "just" survive. I was fighting the tears as she told me. Not because of the sad story that the Holocaust is, but I think I was just in awe with her and what she was telling us. I really felt the Spirit and I've never met anyone who was that close to survivors before. Plus she's a convert to our church. Her parents, though committed to their own religions, must be open minded. (I would love to read her Patriarchal Blessing!) She didn't go into a lot of detail. I hope to ask her another time. As a person she is very nice, BUT a very pretty BYU coed and was more interested in talking with another student (a guy) at the table.

 Natalie is the black haird student in the background on the right.
The students are posing at "Apollo's Temple" at Stourhead.
The sad faces are because Elizabeth Bennet said "NO" to 
Mr. Darcy's proposal and they almost, almost,almost kiss, 
but didn't. These students love P&P as much as the last group!

No comments:

Post a Comment